You are probably concerned about cooking your meat perfectly and serving food that is safe to eat to your family or friends; that is why you want to buy a digital meat thermometer. Good for you!
Let us help you find the best digital meat thermometer that will prevent you from suffering from food-borne diseases due to undercooked meat as well as the inconvenience and embarrassment of overcooked meat.
A little further on, we will present you with the digital meat thermometers with the best reviews and ratings. First, let’s take a look why so many people view them as cooking necessities and find out about some of their good and not-so-good aspects.
Pros and Cons of Digital Meat Thermometers
Did you know that eating undercooked or raw meat can cause potentially life-threatening problems like salmonella and E. coli infections? There have been cases of adults and children getting sick or even dying from eating food like undercooked hamburgers. This is arguably the best reason you want to buy an electronic meat thermometer – to make sure that your meat is cooked well enough to kill the microorganisms that cause those health problems.
Benefits of Using a Digital Meat Thermometer
Another reason why these products are essential kitchen devices for so many people is that they make cooking more convenient. You don’t have to keep on opening your oven door or poking your meat dish every so often to check if it cooked sufficiently. They take much of the guesswork out of cooking.
There are several types of thermometers to choose from, including a wireless meat thermometer and a remote meat thermometer. In addition to meat products like beef, pork, lamb and veal, you can also use them on poultry products like chicken and turkey, and on fish.
Pay Attention to the Following When Buying an Electronic Meat Thermometer
While there is no denying the benefits of meat thermometers, it should perhaps also be noted that some of them have their share of shortcomings. Here is a sampling of several complaints by consumers about electronic meat thermometers:
* The prod or wand, which is the part of the thermometer that you insert into the meat, can burn or melt
* Some replacement probes are hard to find
* Malfunction problems
* Some models do not allow the oven’s temperature to be above 350 degrees
* Some say the product fails to work after using it over a period of time
Top 3 Digital Meat Thermometers by Reviews
That said, many other people find a lot of good things to say about certain meat thermometer digital brands and models. Here are the top recommendations by consumers from reviews they have posted online.
1. Taylor 1470 Digital Cooking Thermometer/Timer
This kitchen aid has among the best digital thermometer reviews you can find online. One of the things people love about it is its versatility. In fact, one customer said he uses it to determine when his pasta or meatballs are cooked and even to let him know the right moment to harvest the tomatoes in his garden in autumn! The device features a stainless-steel probe and a four-foot cord that leads to the thermometer. Other things consumers love about this device include:
* A magnetized base allowing you to stick the thermometer outside your oven
* Precise measuring capability
* An alarm that alerts you when your food is cooked or that cooking time is finished
* Easy-to-read and clear digital display
* Long battery life
* Setting time and/or temperature is easy
2. Oregon Scientific AW131 Grill Right Wireless Talking Oven/Barbecue Thermometer
This Oregon Scientific wireless meat thermometer is a best buy for many customers because it can be used on both ovens and barbecue grills. It features a stainless-steel detachable probe, a digital LCD screen, and a temperature display from 32 to 572 degrees Fahrenheit. It can be remotely controlled from as far as 330 feet away. Some other reasons why it enjoys high ratings and reviews:
* It doesn’t just beep or sound an alarm when your meat is nearly cooked, cooked, or overdone; it actually makes the announcement in words, and you can choose from among five languages
* You can program your choice of eight entrée programs such as hamburger, fish, chicken, turkey, and beef
* Durable construction
* One reviewer said the remote’s transmission was not interrupted by his house’s aluminum siding.
* The alarms/voice alerts can be heard from as far as 50 feet away
3. Polder Original Cooking All-In-One Timer/Thermometer
Those who cook frequently find that this Polder digital thermometer and timer’s ability to store in its memory cooking settings they often use is a very helpful feature. Like the previous two described, the alarm goes off when the set temperature is reached or when the set amount of time has been achieved. It includes a 43-inch probe wire and one AAA battery for power. Consumers prefer it for functions and features like:
* The adjustable LCD display is easy to read
* The ability to switch between Centigrade and Fahrenheit
* Extremely long-lasting; one consumer said his Polder food thermometer worked fine for more than ten years before he finally had to replace it.
* It works great for both oven and grill cooking
* It has a long batter life
As you can see, these are the most highly recommended products going by digital meat thermometer reviews. They range in price from about $17 to about $38. We encourage you to learn more about them if you are shopping for a digital meat thermometer you can use at home. They provide value for money indeed when you consider how they help you get perfectly cooked food every time and lessen the hassle of cooking.