If you’re thinking about grooming your pet dog yourself at home and save the money you would have otherwise spent on professional grooming services, then you should buy a high-quality pair of dog grooming clippers. Dog hair clippers are vital not only for giving your pet a nice haircut, it’s also important in keeping his or her fur in tip-top shape. You might be wondering, though, what the best dog clippers are available on the market for your pet. Two important things to look for when shopping for clippers is a powerful motor and a long product lifespan, which are characteristics of professional dog clippers that are used by pet grooming professionals.
One of the most helpful ways of doing research about dog hair clippers is to read up on online reviews written by pet owners. On large Internet shopping sites such as Amazon.com, for example, hundreds of consumers post their own reviews about various brands including Oster dog clippers and Andis and Wahl clippers. Each product is given a rating ranging from one to five stars, with five indicating the highest rating.
For many people, the number of dog grooming clippers reviews about various professional dog clippers brands that can be viewed online may seem overwhelming. To help you with your search for information, below we’ll be showing you the three bestselling dog clippers based on feedback and ratings in the reviews written by dog owners themselves. What we did was we selected the brands that received the greatest number of positive reviews and highest ratings and narrowed the list down to the top 3 bestselling clippers, each with its own pros and cons. You can see them towards the latter part of this article.
What’s the Best Way to Use a Dog Clipper?
It’s generally recommended that you run a good dog grooming comb through your pet’s fur to help get rid of loose fur before you use a dog trimmer. It’s also a good idea to borrow a friend’s grooming clipper and see whether your dog reacts positively or nervously to it before you purchase your own pair of clippers. If you’re new to using a dog clipper, don’t worry; good-quality dog clipper brands usually come with excellent instructions. In addition, there are numerous online videos or DVDs for sale that teach you how to groom your dog yourself. Most consumers state that it isn’t really as hard as it may look at first.
Advantages of Grooming Your Dog at Home with a Dog Clipper Set
There are three basic reasons why many pet owners opt to give their dogs a haircut at home and for thus buying a dog clipper set.
The first reason has to do with money. In the long run, you save money by grooming your dog yourself since you don’t have to shell out any more of your hard-earned dollars to take your pet to the dog grooming salon.
The second reason involves saving time. Going to a professional dog groomer every so often means you need to make an appointment, spend time going the distance, and waiting until the appointment is finished. For many people, this translates to taking time off work. By choosing to cut your dog’s fur yourself, you allow yourself to enjoy more time savings since you are then free to groom your dog at a time and place that’s convenient for you.
Finally, quite a number of dog owners believe it’s a fun and deeply satisfying experience to groom their pets themselves. They say that it isn’t a difficult job to do and that it strengthens the bond that they have with their dog
Bear in mind that professional dog clippers are not cheap. We researched different brands that are appropriate for residential use and found that Andis dog clippers and Oster dog clippers are the only two brands that have similar qualities as top-of-the-line dog hair clippers. These two brands are certainly not cheap and they are in fact used by many professional pet groomers in their salons. Other brands often receive poor ratings and feedback from many consumers, who ultimately ended up purchasing an Andis or Oster clipper.
Features to Look for and What to Keep in Mind When Buying a Dog Clipper
There are a couple of things the best dog trimmer should have. First is a powerful motor. This is especially important if your dog belongs to a breed that has thick fur. Using a clipper that has insufficient motor power can result in a frustrating experience for you, and you end up not completing the job properly.
Consider getting a clipper that operates with a minimum of noise. Some dogs tend to become nervous when they’re getting a haircut, so a quiet clipper would be helpful in keeping your dog calm and avoiding unnecessary aggravation.
Make sure that the clipper you get doesn’t become too hot to hold after using it for a certain period of time, since this will be uncomfortable both for you and your pet. Most professional dog clippers are maintenance-free for more than a year. This means you don’t need to oil them before or after each use.
Dog hair clippers are available in single- and two-speed motor models. Several single-speed motors are capable of producing approximately 3,000 cutting strikes per minute. Two-speed motors can do even more, resulting in a quick fur grooming and cutting session for your dog.
Some clippers have power cords while others don’t. And while it may be easier to move around with a cordless clipper, keep in mind that it usually runs out of power after about 30 minutes of use. This is why most dog groomers prefer to use a corded clipper.
Top 3 Best Dog Clippers for Sale
Our research on the top-rated dog clippers with the best reviews shows that the following are by far the favorites of many consumers.
1 Andis 22360 AGC Super 2-Speed Professional Animal Clipper with Locking Blade
This professional-grade clipper from Andis is rated 4.5 out of 5 stars by enthusiastic and satisfied consumers. It operates quietly, has a powerful motor, and comes with a choice of two speeds for the option of a very quick fur trimming sessions.
- Reviewers say this clipper cuts through thick and matted coats of dogs as easily as a hot knife slides through butter!
- It’s so easy to use that even some of those who have never groomed their dogs before say the first time they used it, it almost ran automatically.
- It’s a professional-grade dog clipper that’s well worth the money that doesn’t cost as much as going repeatedly visiting the groomers.
- It has a powerful motor that runs very quietly.
- It’s a maintenance-free trimmer that does not requiring oiling for every use.
- The motor’s lifespan is extremely long, with some customers declaring they have used the same clipper for more than eight years without any problem.
- The blades are compatible with some Oster clipper models.
- It has a one-year warranty and any needed product replacement is hassle-free.
- Some owners of large dogs observed that the clipper heated up after 30 minutes, and said they had to buy a cooling spray to bring down the device’s temperature.
- Only a one-sized blade is included, so an extra detachable blade has to be purchased if you want a different haircut length.
2 Andis 21420 Pro-Animal Detachable Ceramic Blade Clipper Kit
This powerful, maintenance-free and quiet Andis dog clipper received the most customer reviews and has an excellent overall rating of 4 out of 5 stars. It’s less expensive than the Andis model above and includes more extras, such as a seven-piece pet groomer kit. It does not have a two-speed option, which, according to consumers is actually desirable for bigger and heavy-coated dogs.
- The clipper works very fast on small dogs; many consumers say they finished the job within 15 minutes.
- It’s comfortable to handle, with reviewers saying they didn’t feel any wrist pain.
- The extra accessories such as the carrying case and extra four combs are much liked by consumers.
- The motor is very durable; some reviewers reported using the same trimmer for more than seven years with no problem.
- It doesn’t have the two-speed option, which may be a problem for owners of bigger-breed dogs who want to give their pets a quick haircut.
- Several reviewers say the unit heats up after ten minutes of use.
3 Oster 78004-011 Powermax 2-Speed Clippers
This Oster dog clipper is a lightweight, two-speed unit that has received numerous reviews and was given a cumulative rating of 4.5 out of 5 stars by consumers. The quiet motor will not tend to unnerve your dog as you are grooming him or her. It also comes with a long power cord that enables you to move around freely.
- It’s significantly quieter than other Oster dog clippers.
- It stays cool during use.
- It runs easily through thick dog coats.
- It has a long lifespan and is the clipper of choice among many professional groomers.
- It is contoured to fit comfortably in your hand, thus preventing hand fatigue during use.
- Owners of large and heavily coated dogs love the 2-speed option because it helps finish the job very fast.
- There were complaints about the unit working fine at the start but then began heating up very quickly and becoming very noisy after a while.
- Some cited poor customer service due to the time taken by Oster to replace the unit. (There were only 2 reviews where this sentiment was expressed.)
The reviews above are a reflection of just why and how these dog hair clippers are the highest-rated and best-reviewed products in their class. Click on them to read more of the reviews yourself. We hope that the information you find will help you make the right choice for you and your dog.