If you are tired of overcooked or undercooked food, you might want to buy an oven thermometer. Some tests show that an oven dial can show inaccurate measurements, even when the oven is brand new. We hope to help you narrow down your search for the best oven thermometer that would suit your particular needs. Here you will see three of them that have the highest oven thermometer ratings on Amazon.com according to user reviews.
Top-Rated Oven Thermometers by Consumer Reviews and Ratings
Here are the three best-selling thermometers you can use in your ovens as rated by customers on Amazon.com. Compare their pros and cons and see which one you feel would be the best buy for you.
1. Taylor 1470 Digital Cooking Thermometer/Timer
This Taylor oven thermometer has among the best reviews by consumers. The stainless steel probe is attached to a four-foot cord, which leads to the thermometer. An alarm beeps when the set time has elapsed or when the desired temperature is reached. Programming of time or temperature is done on the control panel, and temperature readings are made easy with remote display. This thermometer can also be used for grill or barbecue cookery.
– It is long-lasting and durable
– It can be folded flat for easy storage
– It has a precise measuring capability
– Settings can be changed during cooking
– It includes magnets that allow flat mounting on a metal surface
– Some consumers complained that the probe malfunctioned after a few uses
– It cannot measure temperatures above 350 degrees Fahrenheit
2. MIU Commercial Oven Thermometer
According to oven thermometer ratings, this product is one of the best out there on the market because it is inexpensive and easy to use. It comes from France and is NSF-certified. It is capable of measuring temperatures up to 500 degrees Fahrenheit. Made of stainless steel, it can be hand-washed; it is also dishwasher-safe.
– The large dial is easy to read even through the oven window
– It gives accurate and consistent readings
– You can hang it on an oven grate or have it sit on the grate itself
– One customer complained that the MIU thermometer was off by 25 degrees
– Some also say the pointers of their products got stuck at around 420 degrees
3. CDN High Heat Oven Thermometer
Of the three thermometers listed here, this one is the least expensive yet it has quite a number of good user ratings and reviews too. It can measure oven temperatures from 150 to 750 degrees Fahrenheit and is made of commercial-grade stainless steel. The cooking zones shown on the dial are indicated by a red needle.
– It is small, durable and can be placed anywhere in your oven
– It provides accurate and consistent measurements
– One chef said in his review that it helps him calibrate his oven’s temperature
– The large dial is easy to read through the oven window
– It is inexpensive
– A customer dropped it from a height of six feet and the needle fell off
– One user said the glass front of the thermostat cracked and shattered after two days of use
Oven Thermometer Benefits and Advantages
You can get sick from eating undercooked meat because some bad microorganisms and parasites will survive in your food if it is not cooked thoroughly. A good, accurate and reliable oven thermometer will help you make sure that your oven’s temperature reaches your desired level for food safety. Experts say that food should be generally cooked at a temperature of at least 325 degrees Fahrenheit to avoid health hazards.
Another advantage of using an oven thermometers is that it can help save you money in the long run since you’ll be less likely to overcook or undercook your dishes.
Some people also buy an oven thermometer to find out whether their ovens are properly calibrated.
Kinds of Oven Thermometers
There are several types of oven thermometers from which you can choose, and they come at various price points. Keep in mind that the most expensive products or brands are not necessarily the best ones out there. Some people are satisfied with the basic models that cost less than ten dollars while some others may prefer an oven thermometer that costs more but has additional features.
Some thermometers, like the Taylor oven thermometer shown above, have a probe that you can insert into the center of your meat, poultry or fish while it’s cooking in the oven to help you see if it’s cooked to the level you like. It’s known as a remote oven thermometer; it has a cord connecting the probe to the display. If you prefer using a wireless oven thermometer, there are also several models available.
Other oven thermometers measure just your oven’s temperature, not the temperature of the food cooking in your oven. Generally speaking, you can place such thermometers anywhere inside your oven, though some consumers find more accurate readings if the thermometer is placed near the center of the oven’s interior.
You should also consider whether an analog or digital oven thermometer is best for your needs. Some consumers find that digital oven thermometers are easier to read; however, you generally have to know what your desired temperature is.
Oven thermometers with dial faces, on the other hand, show the proper cooking temperature ranges for each kind of meat. So if you are not really sure about the temperature your dish needs to reach to be considered sufficiently cooked, then you would find this type of oven thermometer to be helpful.
Take a look at the products discussed above, whether you are planning to buy analog or digital oven thermometers. Read what the reviews have said about them in their ratings and reviews, and learn which one of them is the best kitchen aid for you.