I’m sure you already know getting more types of nutritious food like fruits, vegetables, and many types of seafood and meat — instead of fast food or junk food — into your own and your family’s diet will help you and your loved ones become healthier. You also probably already realize that the way you cook your food is also important, and this is why you want to buy the best food steamer.
The problem is, there are so many kinds of food steamers available out there. How do you decide which is the best one for you and your family? Well, I hope to help you with that here. In addition to talking about some of the things you might want to consider in your search for the steamer to purchase, I’ll also be presenting you with the three electric food steamers that have earned the highest number of ratings and positive feedback in food steamers reviews that were written by consumers.
But first, let’s talk a little bit about what you can expect when you add a food steaming device to your stable of kitchen appliances.
Health Benefits of Using Food Steamers
First of all, you probably already realize that steaming your food is, in many cases, healthier than, say, boiling or frying them. But precisely how much healthier is steaming?
Well, according to the U.S. Food and Drug Administration (FDA), boiling vegetables can reduce nutrients such as folic acid and vitamin C by 35 percent, while steaming them affects nutritional value by only 15 percent. If you’re a woman who’s pregnant or trying to get pregnant, this is a significant piece of information because folic acid is vital for preventing birth defects. Vitamin C, as we all know, is a powerful antioxidant and an essential part of good nutrition.
Another obvious health benefit of using an electric vegetable steamer is that you cut down a lot on unnecessary fat since you don’t need to use cooking oil. This helps a lot if you or someone in your family is trying to lose weight or reduce his or her levels of bad cholesterol.
Save Time and Energy by Using an Electric Steamer
Another great benefit of an electric food steamer is the time it saves you in the kitchen. In addition to cooking food faster, the timer function on many models enables you to do other things while your food is steaming, instead of having to check on it every so often. Also, you can steam several types of food at a time if you use a steamer that has several racks or tiers.
What to Consider When Choosing Electric Food Steamers
A drawback for electric vegetable steamers is that they cost more than bamboo steamers, microwave steamers, and stovetop steamers. This is why it’s important to make sure that the model you choose is worth every dollar you spend on it.
Do you anticipate using an electric steamer to cook for few or for many? They come in different sizes; the ones that have three or four tiers would be great for trying out different food steamer recipes all at the same time. You can also get a steamer that has just one or two tiers if that’s the size that’s appropriate for your cooking needs.
You should also see if the electric food steamer you’re considering bears the safety mark recognized by your country. This is an indication that the manufacturer is complying with safety regulations.
Finally, check for feedback about various brands and models by looking at what other consumers say about them. To help you with your research, here are three products that have among the highest number of rave reviews from consumers on Amazon.com.
Top 3 Electric Food Steamers by User Reviews and Ratings
1. Oster 5712 Electronic 2-Tier 6-Quart Food Steamer
This Oster food steamer has by far the greatest number of five-star reviews for its category on Amazon. What I like about it the most is that I can delay cooking up to 12 hours. That, plus the fact that the “Keep Warm” feature makes sure the food stays warm even long after it’s done being cooked. Here are some of what other consumers say they love about it:
– It’s very versatile, especially for Asian cooking such as rice
– It’s inexpensive for such a highly rated product
– Cleanup is easy, making for less mess in the kitchen
– It’s large with its 6-quart capacity
– It’s very easy to use; one man said he isn’t a good cook, but that this was a breeze to use, even for him
– The digital controls allow for precise timing
– Egg holders are included for soft- or hard-cooked eggs
– Water can be added without removing the food trays
– One reviewer said that it does take more time to steam food than to cook in the microwave or on the stovetop, but that it is a more hassle-free way to prepare food
– Some consumers expressed concern about the plastic material of the product
– The drip tray doesn’t have handles on it
2. Oster 5711 Mechanical Food Steamer
Another Oster food steamer is on the bestseller list, for a number of reasons. This one has two tiers and can hold up to 6.1 quarts of food. It has a 75-minute timer and helps ensure safety with its auto shut-off feature. Like the one above, it also comes with collapsible steaming trays and egg holders. Here is a sampling of what consumers say about it in their steamer reviews:
– It doesn’t make a lot of noise while operating
– It produces steam just 30 seconds after turning it on
– The oval shape makes it ideal for steaming many kinds of food
– Rice is cooked quickly and easily without worrying about having it burn or stick to the container
– It’s inexpensive
– It’s easy to clean
– A reviewer said the cooking times seem to vary, but that it will just take time to get used to it
– Another user said it looks a little cheap because it’s made from plastic, but that it is sturdier and of a higher quality than the plastic represents
3. Black & Decker HS1000 Handy Steamer with Flavor Scenter Screen
The flavor scenter screen of this Black & Decker electric food steamer is one of the best things about this appliance. As one consumer said, it converts the steamer into an aromatherapeutic diffuser/humidifier. Here’s what you also get: a 4-quart steam basket, a built-in egg holder, a 5-cup rice bowl and a drip tray. It also features a 75-minute timer with auto shut-off and an external water-fill inlet.
– Food cooks quickly
– It is durable
– Cleaning is easy
– It’s inexpensive
– It’s the perfect size for a family of four
– It’s flexible and lightweight
– A user said it’s not suitable for making large quantities of rice, but that in smaller amounts, the rice comes out perfect every time
– The lid doesn’t seem to fit tightly with the container
– One reviewer said the basket seems a bit flimsy
So there you have it, three of the bestselling electric food steamers according to steamer reviews on Amazon.com. I hope the information here has helped you even a little bit towards making a better purchasing decision! Learn more about the appliances described above, one of which could probably well be the best buy for you and your family’s health.