Are you looking to buy the best baby high chair that your child can use at home, but are uncertain about which brand or model to choose? Learning about things like safety features and the range of prices can make the process easier for you. Plus, we’ll also show you some of the highest-rated baby high chairs according to consumer reviews and ratings.
Benefits of Baby High Chairs
Probably the most obvious benefit of buying a high chair for your baby is that he or she gets to be with the whole family at the dining table during mealtimes. The social interaction your baby gets from being in the presence of other family members is good for him or her.
Another advantage of using high chairs is that they make it easier for babies to learn how to feed themselves. Sure, it can be messy sometimes, especially at first. But the experience is beneficial for the baby. Besides, there are many high chair models that have easy-to-clean surfaces.
One more great thing about high chairs: they can be worth the money you spend on them in the long run since there are models available that you can adjust to fit your baby’s size as he or she grows older and bigger. A high chair that is wisely chosen and given the proper care will see years and years of service.
Kinds of High Chairs for Children
There are several types of high chairs. Some models are bigger and heavier and are designed for home use. There are also some portable high chair options that are more lightweight and easier to transport from room to room. A folding high chair is one example, which is also ideal if you have limited space at home, since you can fold and store it if it’s not being used. A travel high chair is, of course, something that your baby can use when the family goes to eat in a restaurant or almost any other place away from home.
High chairs can be made from plastic or wood, with some parts constructed from materials such as metal and vinyl. They come in various price points, but keep in mind that the most expensive ones may not necessarily be the best when it comes to providing what your child really needs. Some high-end models come with very advanced features that many parents are willing to do without.
What to Consider When Shopping for Baby High Chairs
A high chair’s safety features are of paramount importance. It’s a good idea to check whether a chair is certified with the Juvenile Products Manufacturers Association (JPMA) before buying it. Another thing you can do is to check with the U.S. Consumer Product Safety Association (CPSC) to see if the models you are considering have been recalled because of safety issues.
The high chair’s legs should be far apart enough to give it stability and minimize the risk of tipping. However, some parents have recounted that sometimes they or their baby’s siblings have tripped over a chair’s protruding legs. Models with legs that collapse should have a locking system to pevent the legs from closing unexpectedly.
Another important safety feature is the strap that goes between the baby’s legs and a safety belt to fasten around her waist to prevent her from slipping beneath the tray and out of the chair. You should also make sure that if the chair’s tray is removable, that the side-release buttons are not accessible to your baby. Removing the tray should be easy for you, but not for your baby.
If you are considering a chair with wheels, make sure that the wheels can be locked into place. And don’t forget to check the chair’s seat cover. You should also check if the upholstery material is placed well and that there are no seams that could irritate your baby’s legs.
There are lots of brands to choose from, such as Evenflo, Fisher-Price, Graco, and many others. A good way to narrow down your search is to consider what other consumers have to say about them in their baby high chair reviews.
Top 3 Best Baby High Chairs by Customer Ratings and Reviews
There are numerous reviews posted on the Internet about various high chairs, and from our research, here are some of the most highly-rated models.
1. Graco Contempo Highchair
This high chair from Graco has plenty of five-star reviews and ratings. It is a folding chair whose seat can be reclined with one hand. It features six seat heights, a cushioned seat pad that can be wiped clean, and a pull-out tray insert. It is made of plastic and polyester with no BPA, phthalates, latex and nitrosamine. It can hold a child weighing up to 40 pounds. It is dishwasher-safe and comes already assembled. Here are some of the other things that consumers say about the Graco Contempo high chair in their reviews:
– The colors and designs are attractive and not overly cute.
– The included extra seat cover is convenient to have.
– It is highly-rated by Consumer Reports magazine.
– The tray snaps into place easily.
– It is sturdy and does not wobble.
– It’s less expensive than some other models with similar features.
– The tray insert can be easily removed by the baby sitting in this folding high chair.
– It may fit too tightly for a large or very chubby child.
– Some reviewers say the seat cover can be difficult to remove for cleaning.
2. Boon Flair Pedestal High Chair with Pneumatic Lift
“Amazing” seems to be a word that’s commonly used by customers who have purchased this product. The pneumatic lift makes adjusting the chair’s height very easy. It has a pedestal base instead of the traditional A-frames, making it easier and more convenient to clean. It can seat a child who weighs up to 50 pounds.
– There are no cracks, crevices or corners that can trap food.
– The seat pad is waterproof.
– The five-point harness can be removed for cleaning.
– The modern design is attractive.
– The tray cover fits easily into the dishwasher.
– The casters below the pedestal do not scratch wood floors.
– It’s heavy and is not a folding high chair.
– There is no reclining feature.
– It’s expensive.
3. Stokke Tripp Trapp High Chair
The unusual design of the Stokke high chair is one of the factors that make it a popular choice among many parents. It isn’t all about appearance, though; the ergonomic design also provides comfort and stability. The product is made of cultivated beechwood and the seat and foot rest are adjustable. It’s versatile enough to be adjusted to a point that even an adult weighing up to 300 pounds can use it.
– It comes with extended gliders that help prevent a child from pushing against the table and tipping the chair over.
– It is durable and lasts many years.
– It saves space by pushing into the table like a regular chair.
– It is very easy to clean.
– It has a high resale value.
– It is pricey.
– It doesn’t have a tray, although this is a plus for a number of parents because their child gets to eat on the dinner table like they do.
– The straps can difficult to adjust.
– It can tip over if placed on a soft and uneven surface such as a carpet.
We recommend you check out these baby high chair reviews before you buy and see if one of them is the best piece of child’s mealtime furniture for your young one’s needs. Find the right one that will not only look attractive in your home, but will also help you and your baby enjoy mealtimes a lot more.