Are you looking to buy the best fondue set to use at home or to give as a gift? Perhaps you’re a parent wanting to introduce your children to the joys of fondue cooking. Or maybe you’re searching for a lovely, practical and very affordable birthday or wedding gift idea. You want something that will not break easily and will cook the food to your satisfaction. To help you find the right fondue equipment you need, we’ll be sharing with you the best fondue sets for sale on the market as ranked by satisfied consumers in their reviews online.
Electric Fondue Pots vs. Traditional or Sterno Fondue Pots
Non-electric fondue pots are heated by liquid fuels such as sterno and denatured alcohol. Some brands will allow you to adjust the flame under the pot and thus control the heat level. Fuel-heated fondue pots made from ceramic are popular since they distribute heat more evenly. They are suitable for places where there are no electric outlets or for outdoor use, so it’s no problem taking one along if you want to have a fondue cooking session during a camping trip or a picnic. Some fuel-based fondue sets have ceramic and metal pots that you can interchange to accommodate the type of fondue you’ll be doing.
Some parents may be nervous about letting children come near an open flame. If you’re one such parent but you still want to enjoy fondue with your kids, then you might want to get an electric fondue set. It’s safe and very easy to use: just plug it in and adjust the temperature until you achieve the desired level of heat for the food you are cooking. It also heats up quickly, and you generally don’t have to keep on stirring the food to prevent it from burning.
The best electric fondue pots are made from stainless steel, which is great for meat and hot oil fondue. They have a non-stick surface that makes clean-up quick and easy.
Kinds of Fondue Pots
Cheese, chocolate and meat fondues are the main types of fondues. There are three main kinds of traditional fondue pots, and each one is suitable for the most popular types of fondue cooking.
Cheese Fondue Pots: A cheese fondue pot usually has a big opening to make dipping easy for you and your guests. The pot is constructed from stoneware or ceramic, and you need to make sure that the heat is constant in order to keep the cheese melted and warm.
Meat/Hot Oil/Broth Fondue Pots: These are made from copper, cast iron or stainless steel and are designed to withstand the high heat needed to cook meat thoroughly. Using a ceramic pot for this type of cookery is not advised since the material could crack under very high temperatures.
Chocolate Fondue Pots: Enjoying warm, melted chocolate with loved ones is a popular activity, and a chocolate fondue set is essential for such a sociable event. The pot can be made from porcelain, glass, ceramic or earthenware and is heated by a votive or tea-light candle.
Keep in mind that an electric fondue pot can do all types of fondue. It’s very versatile; you can keep the temperature very low for chocolate fondue or crank it up high for a meat fondue.
What to Look for When Shopping for a Fondueset
The fondue sets for sale today usually come with not only a fondue pot, but also a base on which the pot will rest and several fondue forks. Some brands have differently colored markings on the forks, which may have two or three prongs, to help users remember which fork is theirs.
Remember that one fondue set can serve only eight people at the most, so if you are going to be having a large party, you should consider having at least two fondue pots and the appropriate number of forks and plates.
To make sure that the product you are considering is safe for you and your family to use, check out the web site of the U.S. Consumer Product Safety Commission (www.cpsc.gov) to learn about fondue sets that have been recalled for safety problems. Some sets have been recalled over the years due to concerns such as glass stands cracking or pot handles melting.
Another way to find the best fondue set is to check the Internet for buyer reviews. This way, you can see whether the brand you are considering has performed for others — if it lived up to expectations, if it’s worth the investment, and if it’s recommended by other people.
3 Best Electric Fondue Sets According to Buyer Reviews & Ratings
While there are many excellent fuel-based fonduesets for sale online, our research shows that the three electric fondue pots below have the most number of positive reviews in the fondue set category on big shopping sites like Amazon.com. Check them out and see what makes each one a best buy among so many consumers.
1. Cuisinart CFO-3SS Electric Fondue Maker
This Cuisinart fondue pot enjoys a high 4.5 rating out of five stars. It’s a highly versatile system that can be used with cheese, chocolate, oil and broth. It features a 3-quart stainless-steel bowl with a non-stick coating, which means no more having to scrape burned food from the bottom of the bowl. It heats up fast and is easy to clean — just remove the power cord and temperature probe before submerging it in water. It has a sleek, contemporary design and finish that you’ll want to show off. Here are some of the other things buyers have said about this Cuisinart fondue set.
– The cord has a magnetic connector that detaches from the pot if someone accidentally pulls on it, so there’s no need to worry about the pot’s contents spilling.
– Reviewers find that the ability to adjust the temperature in .5 stops from 1 to 10 is convenient.
– The pot’s large size means larger fondues for many guests is not a problem.
– It heats up rapidly and cools down quickly too.
– The instruction manual is easy to follow and has fondue recipes, cooking tips and temperature recommendations.
– A buyer loves the fact that there is no cheese solids/oil separation.
– Consumers praise the all-steel construction, including the handles, feet and fork resting ring.
– The consistency is great on all fondues and stays that way for many hours.
– Some say the cord is too short, but an extension cord fixes this problem.
– A few complained about heat regulation problems.
<iframe style=”width:120px;height:240px;” marginwidth=”0″ marginheight=”0″ scrolling=”no” frameborder=”0″ src=”//ws-na.amazon-adsystem.com/widgets/q?ServiceVersion=20070822&OneJS=1&Operation=GetAdHtml&MarketPlace=US&source=ss&ref=as_ss_li_til&ad_type=product_link&tracking_id=3-fondue-sets-20&marketplace=amazon®ion=US&placement=B00018RR48&asins=B00018RR48&linkId=c951ff303c75b898ebf018bece3245f0&show_border=true&link_opens_in_new_window=true”></iframe>
2. Rival FD350S Stainless Steel Electric Fondue
This stainless-steel electric fondue set has a 3-quart bowl plus eight fondue forks, which can be rested on the fork notches on the pot. The heat can be turned up to 400 degrees Fahrenheit. The set comes with a recipe booklet featuring ideas for appetizers and desserts.
– The magnetic power cord breaks away from the pot when pulled, so there’s less risk of having the pot fall or slide off the table if someone trips on the cord.
– You can precisely control how hot the pot gets with the thermostat on the electric component of the set.
– The included dipping forks are very long.
– A buyer said she was impressed by the sturdiness of the base’s legs.
– Food doesn’t stick and there is no uneven heating from a hot spot.
– It’s a great value; a reviewer said she could have bought several pots for the cost of one dinner in a restaurant.
– It can be used for Chinese hot pot too.
– Some say they wish the power cord was longer.
– A couple of buyers said they received the wrong power cord for the unit.
<iframe style=”width:120px;height:240px;” marginwidth=”0″ marginheight=”0″ scrolling=”no” frameborder=”0″ src=”//ws-na.amazon-adsystem.com/widgets/q?ServiceVersion=20070822&OneJS=1&Operation=GetAdHtml&MarketPlace=US&source=ss&ref=as_ss_li_til&ad_type=product_link&tracking_id=3-fondue-sets-20&marketplace=amazon®ion=US&placement=B00005UWGZ&asins=B00005UWGZ&linkId=099f2e5d9e613384e591313f97b3464d&show_border=true&link_opens_in_new_window=true”></iframe>
3. Trudeau 0823004 Electric 11-Piece 3-in-1 Fondue Set
The stainless-steel electric pot of this Trudeau fondue set can hold up to 56 ounces of content and can also be used on a traditional stovetop. It’s easily carried from the stove to the warming base with the two handles on the pot. The set includes a stoneware insert suitable for chocolate or cheese fondue, as well as six stainless-steel forks. Again, the power cord is a magnetic break-away to minimize the risk of the pot tipping over if the cord is tugged.
– Since the pot is separate from the heating base, you can warm the pot on the stove and bring it to the table and keep it warm on the base.
– It has a double boiler system is ideal for heating at low temperatures, which is necessary for chocolate and cheese fondues.
– Water or oil can be heated directly in the pot.
– It’s the right size for 5-7 persons.
– It heats quickly and evenly.
– Cleanup is a breeze.
– It’s an excellent multi-tasker. Since the separate ceramic insert can be used apart from the stainless steel pot, you can cook or heat two different liquids at the same time.
– Some say the sticker on the heating unit is hard to remove, but one buyer suggested using a hair dryer to blow hot air onto the sticker which makes removing it easy.
– Several found their unit to stop heating after a few months of use.
<iframe style=”width:120px;height:240px;” marginwidth=”0″ marginheight=”0″ scrolling=”no” frameborder=”0″ src=”//ws-na.amazon-adsystem.com/widgets/q?ServiceVersion=20070822&OneJS=1&Operation=GetAdHtml&MarketPlace=US&source=ss&ref=as_ss_li_til&ad_type=product_link&tracking_id=3-fondue-sets-20&marketplace=amazon®ion=US&placement=B000EE52HI&asins=B000EE52HI&linkId=82c808b8420cae49c4099fb9e18980c1&show_border=true&link_opens_in_new_window=true”></iframe>
The reviewers of the electric fondue sets above either bought their own units or received them as gifts, and quite a number of them are either thinking of buying one more set of the same kind to make even more fondue. We recommend that you check out the reviews of the fondue sets above and hope that you also find one that best fits your needs.