You might be wanting to buy a compact mini refrigerator if you’re living in a small space where every square meter counts. Or maybe you or your child is going off to college and you want a small refrigerator to put in a dormitory room. Maybe you just want something in your workshop or recreation room that you could get a cold drink from and not have to go to the kitchen to get it. Whatever your reason for wanting to purchase a mini fridge, you’ll find a wide selection of small refrigerators for sale from which you can choose.
If you’re looking for the best compact refrigerator for your needs and one that will fit nicely into your budget, one good thing to do is to learn about other people’s experiences with the fridge they purchased. Below you’ll find the top-rated compact refrigerators based on buyer-written reviews.
Types of Mini Refrigerators
All mini fridges are smaller than full-size refrigerators, and they come in several different sizes.
First we have the so-called cube refrigerators. These are the smallest kind, typically offering less than two cubic feet of space — that will accommodate around six to eight cans of soda. Cube mini fridges can weigh from around 25 to 35 pounds and are usually the least expensive type of compact fridge.
Next we have the medium-sized compact refrigerators. These aren’t much bigger than cube refrigerators, offering approximately three cubic feet of interior space. They can weigh from 40 to 50 pounds.
Finally, there’s the tall mini refrigerator. Its interior space can be as large as 5.5 cubic feet, and it may have up to three shelves. It usually includes a freezer, and some models even have a crisper. It’s more expensive than a medium-size compact fridge, but not by too much.
What Features Does a Mini Refrigerator Have?
Features vary depending on the fridge’s size and brand. Tall and medium compact fridges usually have adjustable or removable door bins and shelves. Cube refrigerators, in comparison, typically have just one or two non-adjustable shelves. Several medium or tall mini fridges also have a beverage stacker inside the door, where you can place a number of cans vertically.
Very few tall mini refrigerator models have a separate freezing compartment; most have only an enclosed space for freezing within the compartment of the refrigerator. But most of them do have an ice cube tray that’s capable of making small ice cubes. Most mini fridge models, whether cube, medium or tall, don’t have an interior light.
What to Keep in Mind When Buying a Compact Fridge
Where you plan to put your compact refrigerator plays a key role in your choice. The mini fridge suitable for your child’s needs at his or her college dorm may not be sufficient as an apartment refrigerator.
If you plan to get a small refrigerator for use in your office or in a school dormitory, you might want to get one that has a lock. Food theft does happen in those locations, and a lockable fridge will help prevent this annoying inconvenience. And don’t forget: before you buy a compact fridge for college, check to see if the school imposes limitations on mini fridges. Some won’t allow your child to bring one, while some have limitations on energy consumption or refrigerator size. Make sure the fridge you’re considering complies with any relevant regulations the school may have.
A mini fridge whose top can also serve as some sort of a mini counter is useful if you’re really pressed for space because you can put things like cups and plates there.
3 Best Compact Mini Refrigerators Based on Reviews & Ratings
Window-shopping for an apartment refrigerator or a micro fridge for a home office or dormitory room is great to do online because not only can you buy the model you want on any of the large shopping sites, you can also read feedback written by other consumers about the small refrigerator that you’re considering. Here are the top-rated compact refrigerators based on consumers’ best reviews and ratings.
1. Koolatron KWC-4 Coca-Cola Personal 6-Can Mini Fridge
This personal fridge from Koolatron enjoys a high number of five-star reviews from consumers. If you just need something that’ll keep your drinks cold no matter how hot it gets outside, then this is one mini fridge you should definitely consider. It can hold six 12-ounce cans and keep them cool in an interior temperature that’s up to 40 degrees below room temperature. It’s portable, it’s eye-catching, and it gets the job done. What else do the reviews say about this micro fridge?
– The temperature inside is consistently 32-45 degrees cooler than the air outside on a hot day.
– It runs very quietly.
– It comes with a DC lighter-socket adapter so you can use it in your car.
– It can be switched from 110 volts to 220 volts.
– It can convert to “warming” if you want to keep something heated.
– The shelf is removable, providing more storage space.
– It doesn’t cause much condensation.
– Some reviewers complained that the “turn” handle is flimsy, but a reviewer said the one he received has a durable “pull” handle.
– Some buyers said the unit doesn’t get as cold as they would like, though for the majority of reviewers the temperature is pleasingly cool.
2. Haier HUM013EA 1-2/7-Cubic-Foot Compact Space-Saver Upright Freezer
Haier is a well-known name in the area of home appliances, and this mini fridge from the company gets plenty of excellent reviews. You can customize the temperature control to keep it cold enough to freeze food or set it a bit lower to keep your drinks cold, so it works well as a dorm refrigerator freezer, as an apartment refrigerator, or an office mini fridge. Here are some of this Haier compact fridge’s benefits:
– It can be used either as a mini-freezer or a mini-fridge.
– It’s small enough to fit almost anywhere but it can accommodate up to 46 pounds of food.
– The wire shelf can be removed to create more space.
– The mini-freezer’s door is reversible. It can be assembled to open from either the right or the left side.
– No extra clearance space is required since the unit has a recessed handle.
– It runs quietly.
– Adjusting the temperature is easy with the switch in the back of the unit.
– It doesn’t cause cold burns on food.
3. Sunpentown Double Door Refrigerators
If you’re looking for a small stainless steel refrigerator, then this one from Sunpentown is definitely worth considering. It’s a double-door mini refrigerator: the freezer is at the top while the fridge is at the bottom. The reversible doors can be set to open from either the right or left side. Temperatures for both the freezer and refrigerator compartments are easily adjustable. Here are some of this compact fridge’s features that consumers are raving about.
– The top of the fridge has a molded tray that makes it suitable for use as a countertop.
– Many buyers said they love its appearance, receiving many compliments from others because it looks like a full-size fridge.
– It runs silently.
– It freezes and chills food very well.
– Some reviewers said it’s larger and roomier than they expected.
– It has an interior light.
– It has various storage options, including a single drawer and an in-door drink rack.
– Some say it can get really cold and icy, but that regularly defrosting it is not too much trouble.
– There are a couple of user complaints about how the unit didn’t last for more than three years, though one said that even if they had to replace it every two years, it’s still inexpensive to own.
These compact fridges are available on large Internet shopping sites like Amazon.com. If you want to know more about them and see whether one of them could be the best compact small mini refrigerator for your apartment or school dormitory, we recommend that you check out the reviews further to make a more informed buying decision.