Not all ironing boards are created equal, and if you want to cut down on the time it takes to effectively press clothes to utmost satisfaction, then you might want to buy the best ironing board available. There are many ironing boards for sale both in retail stores and on Internet shopping sites, and this page will give you some tips on what to consider when shopping for one. We’ll also be sharing with you some of the top-rated and bestselling models that have the best ironing board reviews by consumers like you and me.
Why Good Ironing Boards Are Important
You may already have a steam iron, but did you know that having the right iron board is almost as important? It’s true. Choosing the right kind of board can help make ironing clothes and other fabrics faster. And a quicker ironing time means more energy savings and more time to do other things.
Ironing boards for sale today usually have a mesh surface to allow steam from the iron to pass through and prevent the fabric you’re ironing from becoming soggy. Ironing board covers are usually included with your purchase, and you can always purchase other covers if you’re dissatisfied with the one that comes with your board.
Types of Boards for Ironing
There are three basic types of iron boards; let’s take a quick look at them.
Stand-alone Board: This is your standard board, and it is available in several widths and lengths. It can have features such as sleeve boards, shelves or rails where you can place or hang clothes after you finish ironing them, and cable holders to keep the iron’s power cord from bothering you when you’re ironing.
Built-in Board: This is also known as the wall mounted ironing board or fold down ironing board, and it is attached to a special panel in the wall or to a closet door. Only one end of the board is connected to the wall or panel, you lower the other end when you need to use it and push it back up when you’re done. This setup obviously saves a lot of space, hence its popularity in small apartments and houses. You can do your own ironing board wall mount setup or you can have it professionally installed.
Tabletop Board: As the name implies, this type of board is placed on a table or other similar surfaces, and you can use it whether you’re sitting or standing. It comes in various sizes and is highly portable, making it easy to bring along just about anywhere. They’re suitable for small spaces; plenty of college students buy one to use in their dormitories, for example. Since tabletop ironing boards are so small, they’re also easy to put away when not in use. They are also generally very inexpensive. However, it may be difficult to iron large pieces of clothing on them. But for small clothing items or fabrics used in crafting, they do the job well.
Tips on Choosing an Ironing Board
Shopping for a board can be made easier if you keep a few tips in mind. A cheap ironing board may seem attractive at first glance, but remember the old adage that goes “you get what you pay for.” Some cheap boards are substandard: made from low-quality materials or having shoddy workmanship. These products tend to break quicker and more easily – and may even cause an accident. They’ll cost you more in the long run. If an inexpensive board catches your attention, make sure you evaluate its materials and construction to see if it’s sturdy enough for your needs.
When choosing a standard ironing board, consider factors such as size and weight. If you do a lot of ironing, especially with large pieces of clothing such as long-sleeved shirts and trousers, you might want to consider buying a heavy-duty professional ironing board. This is usually longer and wider than the standard board.
If more than one person is going to be using the ironing board, it would be best to get one whose height can be adjusted. Also consider the board’s legs: though scissor-action legs are very popular, some prefer one where the legs are connected by a bar at the bottom because it feels more stable.
3 Top-Rated and Best Ironing Boards Based on Buyer Reviews
There is a plethora of options when it comes to making an ironing board selection. With the number of brands available out there, such as Minky, Woolite, and Polder, how do you know which one is the best for you? One helpful way is to read consumer reports and reviews to see how a particular product has met – or failed to meet – buyer expectations. Fortunately, consumer feedback is plentiful on the big shopping Web sites like Amazon.com. The following in particular have among the best buyer-written reviews, making them the most popular and most top-rated boards among consumers.
1. Polder Deluxe Tabletop Ironing Board
Its inexpensive price, compact size, and ease of use make this tabletop board from Polder one of the most highly-rated products in its class. The ironing surface measures 32 inches by 12 inches, has a folding leg assembly, and includes a retractable iron rest. Here are some highlights of what consumers have said about this board.
- The padded top is of high quality, and a cover is not needed to use the board.
- It’s lightweight yet sturdy.
- It can be folded flat and stored under the bed or in a closet.
- The legs are easy to fold and unfold and they lock securely in place.
- The slide-out iron stand or iron rest is a great safety feature.
- It stands steady with its two legs and four supporting beams.
- The legs’ feet are rubberized to prevent scratching the surface of whatever the board is placed on.
- Several buyers observed that their boards started to warp after heat was applied for some time.
- Some reviewers expressed dissatisfaction with the lack of a cover, though for many others this wasn’t a problem.
2. Wall Mounted Ironing Center
This full-size wall mounted ironing board from Better Lifestyle also receives quite a number of excellent reviews. It is opened parallel to the wall to which it is attached and can be locked at an angle up to 180 degrees. The ironing surface is made of ventilated steel mesh and does not need any support under it for stability. It comes with all the mounting hardware needed for installation.
- It’s versatile to use because it swivels in any direction.
- It’s solid enough for sheets and trousers.
- It’s long lasting; many reviewers say their units still work fine after several years of frequent use.
- The included hanging rack is a plus.
- The iron holder and clothes hanger that comes with the board are conveniently stowed away with the board.
- Some buyers say installing the board can be challenging.
- Several reviewers don’t like the look and feel of the included board cover.
3. Reliable Longboard 2-in-1 Home Ironing Tables
This is by no means a cheap ironing board, and for many consumers it has been an excellent investment. If you want a professional-grade ironing board to use at home, then this is something you should definitely consider. The large work surface can accommodate large pieces of clothing and fabrics such as sheets, making ironing faster and easier. It comes with an extension piece for those larger fabric pieces, and also includes two cover pads. A heat- and fire-resistant insert at one end of the board is where you directly place your iron. You can also adjust the board’s height from 30 to 38 inches.
- The size makes it so that pressing full bolts of fabric is not a problem.
- The included covers or pads do not leave impressions in cotton fabrics you press.
- It’s very sturdy.
- You can iron full shirts without having to do them in sections.
- The extension that creates a rectangular shape for the board makes it easier to block large knitted items and iron large quilts.
- The board is stable and not overly heavy.
- The only major complaint seems to be that the board pads or covers should be thicker.
If you’re looking for the best ironing board for your needs, one that will not collapse when you’re using it and feels stable throughout the job, we recommend you check out the ironing boards described above and the user reviews written about them. One of them just might be the one you’re looking for.